> ... so asking to have PF modified to accommodate a client’s
>  old & outdated firmware seems a bit like the tail waggin’
> the dog don’t you think?

Yes, it looks like this :-)
But I was hoping that it would be enough to make corrections in the main.cf and
master.cf, and  Postfix friendship with the camera would be restored.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to implement the Steps 1-3 proposed by you,
because my knowledge is not enough for this.

Thefore apparently, me will have to use plain text, although it's not safe :-(

In any case, thank you Viktor so much for your attention and qualified analysis
of this problem! :=)

> Step 1, deploy a 2048-bit RSA certificate.  If you think that 2048-bit
> RSA isn't strong enough for your security needs, you'll be sad to learn
> that most of the software deployed on your system is subject to updates
> protected by weaker keys, your bank's website uses weaker keys, most of
> the "root CAs" in your browser use weaker keys, ...
>
> Step 2.  If necessary, use RSA-SHA1 to create the certificate self-signature.
>
> Step 3.  If necessary, instead get a certificate from a public CA
>          trusted by your camera...
>
> Step 4.  Give up and use cleartext.
>
> --
>     Viktor.