So I have a bizarre problem. I can't send e-mail to some servers but I can to
others. The e-mail that doesn't get sent is due to the connection timing out to
the remote server.

Another strange problem is that some people can e-mail me while others can't.

This is how my e-mail server is setup off the top of my head:

E-mail server has a CG-NAT IP address.
E-mail server connects to a VPN on a VPS.
Postfix uses VPN interface '192.168.2.2'.
VPS routes port 25 from WAN interface to '192.168.2.2'.
VPS routes port 25 from '192.168.2.2' to WAN interface.
E-mail server firewall allows port 25 in and out on '192.168.2.2'.
VPS firewall allows port 25 in and out on WAN interface.
MX record points to VPS WAN interface IP address.

Everything should work, but it doesn't always.