On 2023-05-22 at 19:53:11 UTC-0400 (Tue, 23 May 2023 07:53:11 +0800)
Tom Reed via Postfix-users <t...@dkinbox.com>
is rumored to have said:

PS: Why do you (think you) need a backup MX?

Hello

I am not sure why I need a backup mx indeed,

If you don't know why you want the added complexity, you do not want the added complexity. (See Also: "Cargo Cult")

but if you make a simple dig,
you find gmail, fastmail, protonmail, comcast, free.fr those big providers
do have backup MXs.

And they handle thousands of simultaneous SMTP sessions 24x7x365. Do you need that sort of scale?

Though yahoo, outlook don't have backup MX as a comparison.

Right, because multiple MXs are really NOT made necessary by scale, that's just a feature of some possible scaling architectures.

The historical justification for the complexity of MX records was the Internet of the 1980s. That complexity (or robustness, if you prefer) turned out to be useful in the scaling of mail to hundreds of millions of users in thousands of domains in essentially unified systems with very high availability to 100% of the open Internet. If you do not have connectivity like the 1980s or scale like Google or GMX, you should have some *architectural* justification for a backup MX.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire