On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 02:34:41PM +0200, Joachim Lindenberg via Postfix-users
wrote:

> reusing the private key for too long (say a year or more) is
> considered a bad security practice. Imho it is easier to monitor
> changes of the issuing CA (I do) or just mark your calendar to update
> in September 2025 than to pin 3 1 1.  DonĀ“t want to be fundamental,
> just opinionated. Everyone has to decide on her/his own.

FWIW, I don't agree.  There are still ~270 domains publishing TLSA
records matching the long-retired Let's Encrypt X3/X4 CAs.  Dilligently
tracking issuing CA transitions is not that easy in practice, and the
security of ACME is fairly dubious.

Key reuse as a *default* rollover approach is robust.  When it is time
to change keys, one can do so deliberately, and with due care to
prepublish TLSA records matching the *next* key, then after a few TTLs
deploy the next certificate, and at that point drop the outdated TLSA RR
matching the old keys.  Meanwhile, root CAs reuse the same RSA 2048-bit
key for decades.

--
    Viktor.