On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 05:43:22AM -0700, Dan Mahoney via Postfix-users wrote:

> We have our aliases file pushing things into our RT install, but also
> saving things to a maildir, so we can manually feed a single file back
> in, thusly:
>
> In /etc/aliases:
>
> noc:                            "|/usr/local/sbin/rtmailgate ops noc cor",
>                                 "/root/ops/Maildir/"
> noc-comment:                    "|/usr/local/sbin/rtmailgate ops noc com",
>                                 "/root/ops/Maildir/"

Storing email in the home directory of the "root" user is a poor choice.
Store the email in a suitable directory under /var/spool/, and for a
user other than root.

    noc: "|/usr/local/sbin/rtmailgate ops noc cor", noc-archive

Create a noc-archive user, and arrange for that user's email to be
delivered to a maildir.

> On a recent upgrade, we started getting permission denied for the
> Maildir.  (But note that the system upgrade may have also reset root’s
> homedir permissions)

Good, the home directory should belong to root only and not allow access
by others.

> We noticed that root’s homedir was o-rwx, but we’re pretty sure it was
> that way before as well.  (The maildir itself is owned by “nobody”)

Not a good idea.

> Is there supposed to be a setuid portion of postfix that allows it to
> deliver to user maildirs/mailboxes?  Is there a way to tell it to do
> this when delivering to a given maildir?

No.  Leave "root" out of the delivery path for mail.

--
    Viktor.