On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 05:24:45PM +0200, Jaroslaw Rafa via Postfix-users wrote:

> > seems to me that having all possible mail recipients as system users
> > is not practical on even systems of moderate user count.
>
> My previous job was administering servers at an university. Our main
> Internet server (that was used for mail, websites - both organizational and
> personal - plus additionally some users were developing and running their
> own software on it) had around 1000 users, all of them being system users.

By way of contrast, I was once a postmaster for ~80,000 users.  The
primary email address domain was a "virtual alias" domain, with
resolution to multiple backend mailstore addresses via LDAP.

Noel's point upthread was that recipient validation should in most cases
not be disabled.

Instead of clearing "local_recipient_maps", if the domain is a local
domain (mydestination), then the valid users should be listed in
"local_recipient_maps", either by virtue of being system users, or by
being listed in some ancillary table (typically $alias_maps is
sufficient).

Except on the submission ports, it is much better to reject than to
accept and bounce.

--
    Viktor.