(Disclaimer: I'm relatively new to collaborative open-source
development, so apologies if I'm breaking a rule of etiquette here.)

I notice that someone recently changed the way the "source" key is
represented in map_features.xml. Since I disagree with part of the
change (changing it from presence="always" to presence="onTagMatch"
with a priority of "lowest"), I thought I'd bring it up for debate.

In my view, the source key is crucial to every object. The editor
should be doing everything it can to encourage people to fill it in.
That means placing it full view, on the Basic tab for every object. If
it's blank, that's essentially an error that should be corrected.
(Whereas there is such a thing as a street with no name, there is
really no such thing as an object with no source.)

Secondly, it's a usability thing. Since you need to populate the
source key for every object you create, this change means the user has
to switch to the "Misc" tab (scrolling across...)

Lastly, a broader question: is there a reason to limit the number of
tags with presence="always"? We're a long way from overcrowding out
that page. There are lots of objects with no properties at all except
name and source - it seems pretty dopey to show only the name on the
Basic tab, and the source on the Misc tab.

Thoughts?

Steve