On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:

>> So I don't see the source key as crucial. What might be an idea, if
>> it isn't already done, is record what background is in use when the
>> changes are saved by using a tag on the changeset rather than every
>> object - this won't say whether the user has changed during the
>> session (though I guess this could be tracked and used rather than
>> just whatever is current, but more work).
>
> Yes. It's a difficult one to judge, but I don't think putting a source
> textfield on every item is the right solution.

I'll just chip in here, since I made the change that sparked this.
Richard and I have similar thoughts on this, but I'll look at the
detail to help people working on this see my thinking.

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/24561

The first thing I changed was the "priority" field from "highest" to
"lowest". The field is used for ordering the Editors (widgets) when
there's more than one on a Tab, and within each priority they are
ordered alphabetically. It looked strange to me to see things like...
Name:
Source:
Ref:
...in that order, simply aesthetically speaking I would expect the
source metadata to come at the bottom of the list of attributes,
rather than interspersed. (There's also a slightly more context-free
reasoning, in that given a binary choice between a) any given
attribute or b) the source tag being filled out, I'd prefer OSM to
have the attribute!). So that's something to consider is whether the
attributes have any kind of logical grouping, and set the priorities
appropriately to group them. The Physical tab for roads comes across
as a jumble at the moment, for example.

Secondly is the presence, being one of "always" "onTagMatch" or
"withCategory" - I moved it from always to onTagMatch. It would be
easy for us to mark everything as "always" and thereby remove the need
for the different tabs, but I quite like having them. So I think
there's a high bar needs reaching for the "always" presence and source
IMHO doesn't meet that. I think withCategory is the most interesting
one (and, from UI point of view, gives the least-confusing result of
being consistent between objects) but it's rarely used at the moment.
I'd like to see more use of the withCategory tag.

Finally, on the "rules of etiquette" question, bringing it up on the
MLs is absolutely the best thing to do -

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Community_Code_of_Conduct_%28Draft%29#Be_Collaborative

Cheers!
Andy