At 10:25 AM -0400 8/1/02, Ken Strayhorn wrote:
>I've got a Powerbook 3400c I've used for three years now,
>it's so dependable I've even passed on a newer laptop.
>
>I also have a Motorola StarTac CDMA cellphone.  Since the
>idea of hooking my cellphone to a laptop for access to
>my server here in the office was very attractive, I looked
>around but found that Motorola says that their phones
>are only compatible with Winblows.  So, believe it or
>not, I bought a used Dell XPi CD just for this purpose.
>The combo works fine - Morotola makes a cable that
>attaches to the serial port (DB-9) of the laptop.
>
>However, it seemed to me that surely someone has
>come up with a way to attach a CDMA data-capable
>phone to a Powerbook.  Looking around the web with
>Google, I find that Motorola now says their phones
>are compatible with Powerbooks, but they only
>specify their newer products (V60, etc) and G3/G4
>Powerbooks.
>
>I'm thinking that this should be easy - just find
>an adapter that converts the DB-9 cable to DIN-9
>to fit the serial port on the back of the Powerbook,
>and find a CDMA driver.
>
>Am I on the right track, it is it a bit more
>involved than that?

The MiniDIN-8 to DE-9 cable that Palm sells in the MacPack (for
connecting a Palm Pilot to Mac) works.  You don't need a "CDMA
Driver", just a modem script.  The following link lists a source for
buying the StarTac to DE-9 cable and where to get the modem script.
On my last vacation I used my StarTac to download my e-mail an check
the web a little even as we were driving.  It did drop out a few
times but kept it up long enough.

http://www.sentman.com/mac_pcs.html
--
Clark Martin