Clark replied to my query WRT CDMA fones and Powerbooks:

>The MiniDIN-8 to DE-9 cable that Palm sells in the MacPack (for
>connecting a Palm Pilot to Mac) works.  You don't need a "CDMA
>Driver", just a modem script.  The following link lists a source for
>buying the StarTac to DE-9 cable and where to get the modem script.
>On my last vacation I used my StarTac to download my e-mail an check
>the web a little even as we were driving.  It did drop out a few
>times but kept it up long enough.

Excellent, thanks.  Do you by chance have a part number
for that adapter?  I Googled "Mac Palm serial adapter"
and got scads of hits - most of which went to online
vendors who no longer have it in stock.  If I had the
part number I might be able to track it down a little
more efficiently.

Has anyone else tried this setup? Seems like a natural
but I don't recall any other traffic on this list in
the recent past.

I have two plans for this setup:

1.  Getting my email from a sailboat.  Most of the time
I'm within line-of-sight of "my" cell tower, so this
would save me the daily trip to shore just to see if
the office has burned down.

2.  With my cell plan, most of the eastern seaboard is
in my home zone, so I can travel and still access my
email server without the usual hassels and cost.

Thanks again,

Ken Strayhorn
Duke University