At 12:09 PM -0500 8/1/02, Jae Redfern wrote:
>I live just below the arctic circle and hence enjoy very long days in
>summer. This time of year all I can think about is getting flown out
>of town to a nice remote fishing spot and putting a small dent in the
>arctic char population.
>Thing is, work has been cramping my style of late and I've been
>missing more weekend fishing opportunities than I care to admit.
>I've attempted to take my 3400/240 with me and mixing work with
>pleasure-and dinner - but even with three batteries I tend to run out
>of juice before I run out of work.
>A few weekends ago I was sitting around the campsite at midnight
>cursing a powerless Powerbook and wondering why my powerbook wasn't
>able to use the abundant solar energy we enjoy this time of year.
>I seem to remember a Solar option being available for the 1400 at one
>time but haven't heard of it since.
>Would anyone out there care to recommend a solar power option that
>might do the trick for a 3400?
>Cheers,

While not solar this might help.  I recently bought a battery pack at
a car parts store.  It  has a 13 A-H battery in it with a car
accessory outlet (cigarette lighter outlet) and a built in recharger.
With a car adapter for the laptop it runs the laptop for quite a
while.  I'd recommend using a car adapter for the laptop instead of
using an AC Inverter and an AC adapter.  Not only is it less hardware
to lug around it is more efficient meaning more operating time.
There solar panels available that are intended to be plugged into the
accessory outlet to charge the car battery.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA