> IIRC there was no DVD option for the 3400. It was an option on the
Wallstreets >(series II?) but even those needed a hardware decoder
card. I shudder to think >of what a software decoder on a 240MHz 603e
would be like :) Pismos had DVD >standard and used a software decoder,
but had help from the video chipset.

DVD was possible on all the Wallstreets, provided you had the
DVD/MPEG-2 decoder card in a CardBus slot and the DVD-ROM module
installed in a bay...

It's entirely concievable that the 3400 could handle DVD if you could
get your hands on a decoder card, version 1 (hacked to run on the
3400) of the Apple DVD player software (only version to support
hardware decoders, AFAIK), and a DVD-ROM that will fit in the 3400's
expansion bay...  The decoder card will run you ~$100 on eBay.  Don't
know where you would get the DVD-ROM, but I could see it costing
around 200-300...  You're close to the price of one of those 5"
jobbers...

>For DVD watching on the road, a portable unit (one of those 5" screen
jobbers) >would be your best bet.

Yeah, I agree here too.  Especially since you probably wouldn't be
able to watch an entire movie on the 3400 before the battery dies.
But then again, some of those 5" jobbers really suck in the screen
quality department.

Peace,
Drew

--
Having graduated (with a physics BS :-P), I will be using the email
address <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Please update your address book.