i'm a believer!!  and thanks to everyone who'se been helping out....

now, i'm just plain curious....  if i have it right in my head, then it
goes like this:  this rig always shipped with 8 on the motherboard; and
there is a further fixed 8 put in by apple for a consistent total of 16;
then it only makes sense that there is a further upgrade in one of the
expansion slots of 16, because it wouldn't make sense to put in two 8 meg
cards-not something anyone would do (although theoretically possible); so
the only possible answer is 8+8 (fixed) +16, so i need a 32 meg card to
fill the final slot....have i got it?  Is it safe to assume that any 32 Meg
card advertised for a PB1400 will be the right one (assuming an honest
vendor) and it will piggy-back onto the 16 Meg card?

Cheers,
Rick