>Right you are, though you did say that you'd "need FWB" and that "freebie
>solutions don't work". Toast CD Reader is free and it does work to mount
>disks on the desktop, even with older Macs, older systems and older SCSI
>CD-R's.

I've not been able to find that as a standalone download from Roxio; where
is it?  That would be a good resource for people who buy used drives.  If
you're buying Toast Lite from someone 3rd party, it's not free.  If you
Carracho it, sure, I guess.

I've always pointed out that indeed I can in fact burn CD-R on my setup and
yes you can do it, but:

- capabilities are anaemic at best, compared to what people would expect
from previously using desktops instead of low end powerbooks

- you simply can't count on being able to actually use the drive as a
replacement CD drive for general use; I couldn't do so until Toast 5 on
several of my drives, and still can't even with the one drive and Toast 5.
Toast 3.5 supports even fewer drives in this manner.  Perhaps if you use
the CD Reader from v. 5 with the 3.5 installation, more would be useable in
3.5 in this manner, or maybe it would cause problems, I've not tried.   If
you research or get lucky and get a supported drive, great, but maybe not.
It seems like your experience varies;  I've tried quite  few drives myself
though.  It's definitely not a certainty.

-if you have lots of time for the 1x burns, great.  Just don't expect to be
ripping audio at any speed reliably,  or burning at 4x, or any of the
things that are wonderful and convenient capablities to have in a laptop.
You can back up your data, though.

That's the foibles of using CD-R on older powerbooks; it's just life!
Since you can drop a lot of money for "portable" (slimline) SCSI CD-R or
external cased SCSI CD-R or -RW, even used, just be aware of the realities.

The nice thing about external SCSI is easy connection to desktops, so you
can use your drive with multiple machines, if you have SCSI capabilities on
both.

I think we agree more than disagree :), but I also think it's much more
likely that someone could plunk down  money and then have much less actual
useability than they expected, than the reverse.  Doing some homework is
definitely necessary if you don't wish to be disappointed.  Don't just ebay
a used drive and expect happiness, is my take on it.

Brian