I run 8.6 on a 5300cs and a 5300ce, mostly because I can.  OS 9 was
just too much of a pooch for my tastes.  But I think that the _best_
OS for the 5300 series is probably either 7.6.1 or 8.1.  If you need
more modern features, 8.1 might give you some of those.  If all you
care about is the nice platinum eye-candy in OS 8.x, you can install
7.6.1 and the Appearance Control panel and extensions for OS 8.1.

Peace,
Drew
--

<http://homepage.mac.com/alk/>
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some