There's also some liquid chemical that solidifies just
enough for you to insert the tool and form a bond
around the screw - I have it but haven't tried it.
Best
George

--- Donn Haven Lathrop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>To summarise, the top of the centre screw is
> TOTALLY worn out and I
> cannot get ANY tool to grip and turn. It's basically
> a circular hole
> in the screw.<<
>
> I'm not thinking...
>
> Most small engine repair shops have left-hand fluted
> drills--I used to,
> but sold 'em when I sold the shop.
>
> The idea is that you use a variable speed drill set
> to run "backwards",
> press the drill into the recess in the head of the
> screw, and slowly
> press the drill trigger.  The screw will usually
> back out.
>
> They can also be used in a pin vise (hand-held drill
> holder), but the
> drill is easier to use--more torque and what-all.

=====
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all
 thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with
 all thy strength, and with all thy mind;
 and thy neighbour as thyself."
 Quoted from St Luke, 10:27.