>Hi everyone.
>
>Bit of a problem with my 3400c. I tried upgrading the HD and managed to get
>it in easily enough after buying the correct screwdrivers and all.
>
>Put it all back together and turned it on. And...nothing! No noise, no
>internal sounds like whirring, no lights or ANYTHING! Totally dead. Tried
>with battery and PSU and still nothing.
>
>So, I figured it was the HD. The previous night the cat had knocked it off
>the table to the floor. Tsk. I started removing the screws and when I got
>the the one in the centre of the case...my little star-shaped screwdriver
>thing broke and couldn't get a grip any more. I didn't notice straight away
>and was happily turning it in the screw before noticing nothing was
>happening.
>
>To summarise, the top of the centre screw is TOTALLY worn out and I cannot
>get ANY tool to grip and turn. It's basically a circular hole in the screw.
>
>I'm a bit upset, understandably, as I have great plans for this PB! Have any
>of you experienced a similar situation and, if so, how did you deal with it?
>So far all I have tried is dropped little bits of solder into the top of the
>screw and etching a slot on that for turning. This didn't work as the solder
>just snapped off. (Well, it was worth a try!)
>
>Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take a small drill that will fit into the hole and cut off the smooth
shank part so that you have a reverse cutting edge . Chuck the normal
cutting edge into a speed controlled drill motor switched to run in
reverse direction. Slowly start to drill . The cutting edge should dig
into the screw top and unscrew the screw. put a drop of oil along the
edge to lube the threads. keep the oil away from the center if you can.
Has worked for me in the past. Good luck!

Gerald R.Homeyer  [EMAIL PROTECTED]