>A dedicated VM partition should never get fragmented, the swap file is
>one file, not many small files.

Good point.   But what about after each reboot?  Does the OS just
open the same old VM store again, or does it make a new one?

>Integrity of partition tables? What the heck are you talking about here
>Drew? <BigGrin>

:-D  I've had some fun w/ Linux, MkLinux, BeOS, and multiple Mac OS
systems installed on one HD.  Let me tell you, if you have a system
crash at the wrong time, some of those partitions never come back -
you just have to reformat the entire disk.  (Well, that was before I
discovered that pdisk would let you reformat individual partitions to
and from Apple_AUX/MkLinux format, HFS, HFS+, and free space.)  So
I've had some fun with screwed up partition maps...  My favorite was
when I tried to hot-plug a SCSI Zip, PowerBook in SCSI Disk Mode, and
PowerMac 7300...  Let's just say that the 7300 wasn't happy.  I still
don't know how it screwed up the internal disk (separate bus and
everything!), but it sure did.

>OTOH, I'm pretty
>darn sure the OS builds a new swap file at each startup, and the file
>isn't a bunch of scattered small files but one large contiguous file
>(assuming a clean VM partition.)

So, does that mean that VM will overwrite the old swap file, use the
same swap file, or write a new swap file in empty space?  If it
writes a new file altogether, then at some point it has to run out of
enough free contiguous blocks...

>The same
>principles may not be relevant with VM though and I haven't the foggiest
>idea how the classic Mac OS does reads/writes to its swap file.

The "pgsz" gestalt selector returns the "logical page size".  GestLab
remarks, "Logical page size is meaningful only if the machine is
equipped with virtual memory.  It is the minimum size read when
memory swaps."  So I'm pretty sure this is related to the allocation
block size on the disk (usually 4K in HFS+).  But, again, I don't
know for sure, and I don't know how changing the allocation block
size affects VM speed...

>Dan K (who's proving to be just as stubborn as Drew!) : >)

Heh, point taken! :-)
Peace,
Drew

Author of ClassicStumbler
email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
web: <http://homepage.mac.com/alk/>

Want to know if your neighbor has Wi-Fi?  Find out with
ClassicStumbler! <http://homepage.mac.com/alk/classicstumbler/>