According to Apple's KB article 30621:

Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus): Erase Disk Compared With Initialize

TOPIC

This article compares the Erase Disk... command with initialization of a disk as they
relate to the Mac OS Extended format.

DISCUSSION

Drive Setup performs other routines that Erase disk does not. **Erase disk will only
initialize the Partition selected.** (emphasis added) Drive Setup Initialize will
reset the Boot Block and Partition Map as well as the Partition(s) selected. Note:
Drive Setup Initialize will erase the entire hard disk. A single partition can not be
selected for initialization.

---

So it appears that Erase Disk will give you what you want.  Alas, it does require
retsering with VM off to erase and then another restart with VM turned back on (sorry
I forgot to mention that before).  An optimizer/defragger might be a better choice.
(Never had a problem with NDD/Speed Disk or TechTool, although TT hasn't been very
helpful, either.  Norton's saved me a few times.)

Perhaps FWB HD Toolkit can reformat an individual parition?

Regards,

Bob Eye
Dallas, TX