You may have a bad battery, it may need to be charged, the PRAM battery
may need to be replaced, or the PRAM or Power Manager may need to be
reset.

Does the 1400 startup on the AC power adapter?

The "Help" menu should explain how to reset the Power Manager/PRAM.
Replacing the PRAM battery is not for the feint of heart, as it requires
taking almost the entire 1400 apart and working with very delicate wires
and connectors. The PRAM battery is located beside the touch pad in the
bottom case.

David Allen