> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:28:07 -0800
> From: Clark Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: File Sharing won't start up on PB5300cs
>
> > At 3:37 PM -0600 2/22/2003, Robert Eye wrote:
> > I also went through Apple's suggestions on their Knowledge Base on
> > file sharing a PB5300, but to no avail.
>
> The usual cause of this is a corrupt AppleShare PDS file on the
> harddisk.  This is an invisible file at the root level of any shared
> harddisk.  The cure is to use ResEdit or another utility to make the
> file visible and then trash it.  Next time you startup FileSharing it
> will create a new version of this file.  The AppleShare PDS file
> contains all of the privileges for folders so trashing it will reset
> them.
> --
> Clark Martin

Clark,

Thanks for the note.  I should have said I tried *almost* all of Apple's suggestions
(of which yours was one).  :-)

I actually first tried a less invasive method that Apple recommends.  Here's what I
did (from Knowledge Base article 11368):

"1. Open Stickies from the Apple Menu, open a new note (any note).
2. Type anything (as long as characters are there).
3. Select Export Text from the File Menu.
4. Name the file "AppleShare PDS" (capitalization not necessary, but the spelling and
the space is important).
5. Save the file on the first (root) level of the Startup Drive.
6. A dialog box will come up asking if you want to replace the file? Yes, you want to
replace it.

Note: If it does not prompt you to replace the file (step 6 above), then it didn't
work. Check the file name and saving destination."

Result: worked like a charm!  File Sharing came right up.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Bob Eye
Dallas, TX