Sionnach,

Thanks to your response and some qutoes on what you wrote:

>loss of back lighting... I took it to mean "getting
>dark" as in large opaque dark blocks appear on the
>edges of the screen/grow into the display field.

Well. The word "blocks" confuses me a bit (maybe it's only my bad English
skill). I would describe it more as blurred/smeary areas growing from the
borders and getting more and more dark.

>Kai, whats going on??  Is it just the backlight?  If
>so, I would think you could still make out 'something'
>of the display on the dark areas if you looked hard
>enough. -Or, are you seeing dark blocks devoid of any
>image appearing on your screen?

The longer the Powerbook is running, the bigger these areas get. And they
also get darker. Maybe the first 2 hours I can still recognize images (i.e.
the apple or the mouse pointer) under these spots. But after a longer time
it gets really dark. Then I nearly can't recognize anything under it
anymore.

>were me, diagnosing any type of display problem, I'd
>start by removing the LCD case plastic and top cover
>and checking the cables where they connect to the
>LCD/FL Inverter/and MB...  I'd pay specific attention
>to the way the cable routes through the hinge and make
>sure it isn't badly kinked or freyed in any way...

I already wanted to do that. But I didn't get very far right up to now,
because I have no idea on how to disassemble the PB 540 to take a look at
all those parts. And I don't want to destroy anything. Is there any tutorial
on disassemling a 500 series Powerbook? I only found a tutorial on replacing
the RAM. But this isn't too difficult...

Thanks,
Kai