I've gotta agree with Tom Lee on his description of
where the problem lies.  That picture you posted was
quite foretelling.

As far as removing the case plastics so you can get at
it...  I've never taken apart a 500 series, so I don't
know it's specifics.  Generally speaking, there are
usually at least two screws securing the LCD plastic
in place. (Sometimes as many as 4.)  Look for pads and
stickers on the front of the LCD panel, these often
cover the screw holes.  When you find them, gently pry
them up with a ravor blade being careful not to damage
them or scratch the case plastic.  Once they're up...
you'll see the screw head.  Remove the screws.  Once
they're out, actually removing the plastic is a little
tricky.

There are small clips all the way around the edges of
the LCD Display cover.  If you try to just pull the
cover off, you'll break these clips and it will never
fit back together snuggly again.

I recommend taking your thumb and placing it below the
LCD screeen, resting on the plastc.  Then, use your
index finger and slip it under the plastic bordering
the LCD (gently and carefully!)  Slowly pull out with
your index finger while pushing in and up with your
thumb to release the clips...  You'll need to do this
all the way around the unit as there are clips on all
sides.  Once the clips are off, the LCD cover should
fall off in your hand.  With the cover off, it will be
very obvious which parts are what and how they're held
in... their really aren't but 3 parts or so under your
display cover.

By the way, always make sure you unplug your powerbook
and remove it's battery before you start disassembling
it and working on it.  This is especially true when
working with the display.  Those FL Inverter boards
contain high voltages.

If you have trouble getting the clips at the bottom of
the screen to release (where I suggested you start)
try starting from the left or right side instead, and
coming back to the bottom.  Never force anything if it
feels like it isn't going to go.  Some machines seem
to open easier from the bottom, while others open
easier if you pry up on the sides first...  Most of
the time, they open the best if I start at the bottom,
but a few have proved otherwise.  Just take your time
and you'll get it.

If you happen to break one or two of the little clips,
someone had posted to the list awhile back about a
glue that worked well to bond them back on.  If nobody
chimes in with the name of it.. I saved the post, I'll
go check it out and repost the info for you...

Cheers,
Sionnach