On 3/26/03 "Kai Steinmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>Again thanks a lot for all that posts about the LCD darkening.
>
>Mad Dog: Do you really want to try replacing the backlight in your Duo 280?
>If so, I'm very excited about what will happen...
>
>But I'm a bit sceptical about the backlight theory. But only a bit because I
>am far too dumb concerning that LCD stuff to be a respectable discussional
>partner. ;-) However. What I have recognized is that the darkening does not
>only grow from the left and right borders. It also comes from the top border
>(more slowly. but it does). Which is kind of interesting because I don't
>think that there is also a backlight on the top of the screen. But ok. Maybe
>it is also influenced by the heat of the side backlights... I told you. I'm
>quite stupid concerning that stuff.
AFAIK, there is only one ccfl tube in any of these screens, at the top or
bottom but not the sides.

Also, in my experience, the screen's corners darken whether the BL is on
or off. I've not noticed the screen becoming hot with the BL off, but
it's possible I suppose.

>But I've put a Picture of my screen online. So you can see what I mean.
>http://www.webkreativ.de/temp/pb540_lcd.jpg
Sadly, that's what we are all seeing to various degrees. It does grow in
the corners first, then spreads out along the sides. I had set up a
maxed-out 2300 with a 280 screen, hoping to have the perfect travel 'Book
but 'twas not to be. : -(

I've got a 'new' 250, I haven't run it yet for a long period so maybe now
is the time to see if it afflicted. I'll report back if I learn anything
new.

Dan K