On Saturday, April 5, 2003, at 02:09 AM, Sid Barras wrote:

>> How many gigs in the PB?  SCSI chain won't recognize a book with more
>>  than
>> 4 gigs per disk or partition.  Bummer eh?
> What!?? Arghh!!  4 Gigs? Hmm. I'd say I have a few more than 4-- its a
> 30gb
> hard drive...
>
> That, my friend, is indeed, a "bummer." I wonder why that would be so?
> That also runs along my other favorite "why" question about the pb
> 1400, why
> won't it recognize more than 64mb of RAM...

The 64mb of ram thing is a conscious motherboard design thing. The SCSI
mode thing is a bug in the code Apple didn't catch until PB's with
drives larger than 4GB shipped (I believe with the PowerBook G3).
Unfortunately, since it's in the ROM, this is an unfixable bug.

> --
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson