Hi Dan,
Don't give up. Some stores will take the old board as
a trade-in. But before that - did you try to fully
discharge the mob - unplug the PRAM battery, press on
the start button for at least a minute (or is it the
restart bar on the rear panel?).
I will not give up yet (can't boot from the internal
HDD - getting an IDE adapter for cheap to see if it
will boot a desktop Mac), replace the internal HDD
(also cheap cost for small 1 or 2 Gig drive). All HDD
utilities say the present HDD is ok. But, the Sound
function (start-up bong) is also not working - i.e.
the HDD isn't spinning, and sure seems to like to fall
asleep mighty quick). All these issues arise when the
external SCSI HDD or other device is absent (not
powered up).
Inbetween the battery bay and the CD-Rom bay is a
small rectangular opening - is that used to discharge
the mob - it does seem to provide an opening to the
mob grounding cage.
George