>Could I have someone clear the fog, once and for all, which surrounds
>"Cardbus" and "3400's". I have read about the $100+ "cage upgrade" (which
>may or may not be necessary to make it cardbus complient), the

Hopefully the following may help. Like many, spending $100.00 to upgrade
the cardbus didn't seem like my favorite choice, but I wanted my almost
new 3400c to be USB and firewire compliant. After reading all the
available conversion procedures, including the MCE conversion, I decided
to go with the tried and true MCE fix. I contacted them and took a lot of
their time asking every question I could think of. They answered all my
questions courteously, never dodging or rushing their answers. I felt
confident I was dealing with an honest helpful bunch of people. FedEx has
a laptop shipping box that is designed just for shipping laptops. It is
free, but you usually have to get them to order it. It usually isn't
stocked except perhaps in larger cities. During the shipping and return
time and the short time they needed to do the fix I went on Ebay and
picked up a Firewire and USB card. MCE has cards for sale but they were a
bit more than I could afford. Upon receiving my converted 3400c back and
installing the support software,they had installed the latest OS 9
drivers but it didn't work well with my OS8.6 and Firewire card,
everything now works just great. They were very helpful answering my
questions after I got it back. The only difference in software was for a
Firewire external 80G harddrive I got on Ebay. It was new but it required
their drivers. I hope this helps.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!