I've been having problems with an active matrix screen on a pb1400/166. The
computer will usually start up just fine, but when I open an application
such as Office and run it for some time, I start getting lots of colored
vertical and horizontal lines on the screen. If I restart the computer I
will get white horizontal bars, then white and horizontal bars, and finally
the oscillating colored lines up and down the screen.

Last week I had swapped out a passive matrix screen for the active matrix
screen on that book. I first experienced the colored lines when I tried to
adjust the brightness and contract toggles on side. However, that problem
seemed to go away after restarting the compoter. This week I had networked
the 1400 with my duo and my 6100 through a hub. I file-shared an old Virex
program to scan for viruses. The screen color problem resurfaced with
vengance.

If I shut down the computer and let it sit for several hours (preferably
overnight), it will boot up fine and Word while start without any problems.
I'm frustrated because the screen situation has been damned inconsistent.
Earlier this afternoon, the screen lines reappeared when I tried to open
Entourage. Right now the screen seems ok. I have a Word document up, and
I've worked on it for several minutes without any problems.

I deleted the Virex program while the computer was still behaving for me.
I've tried zapping the PRAM and rebuilding the desktop when I've had the
lines on the screen, without any resolution to the problem. I also checked
the 1400 with Disk First Aide, and everything was ok. The passive matrix
screen works fine on the computer that formerly held the active matrix
screen. Before switching screens, the active matrix screen seemed fine on
my other 1400.

Software or hardware problem?

Frank C. Modica
501 E. Green St.