First of all, a mention about my previous PB5300 problem:
Thanks to all for the help and advice.  Many ideas with much merit.  In the end,
however, my father otped to make no decision, so since it's not my computer, I'll let
it be.
Now, this is what I get for pushing the envelope.
I ahve a PB1400c/166, which I love to death, despite its shortcomings.  In any event,
despite the fact that it is not my most advanced system by any means, it is my only
laptop  and it certainl;y is a fun little computer to use (enough so that I'm
considering my upgrade to be a brand spanking new iBook to replace all both my
iMac400dv and my little 1400 depending on what a new line has to offer if they ever
announce it).
Anyway, I've seen posts as to what people should have as systems on these powerbooks
and most advise against taking it up to OS 9 because of slow processing speeds.  Well,
I HAD to see for myself, so I loaded it up with OS 9 today, and boy do I regret it.
OS 8 used around 15 megs of RAM on this thing, and since OS 9 used around 18 or 19
megs on my mom's PM7500, I figured it was worth a try.  Big mistake- OS 9 uses 34 of
my 64 megs on this PB.  Also, the system moved about as fast as molasses in january
and actually froze on me.  My 1400 never freezes!!  SO I said screw it, reload OS 8
and go back to the way things were.  Not as easy as it sounds.  The OS 8 install cd
eitherfails or crashes working under OS 9.  I finally managed to get it installed by
using an external HD as the boot disk, and low and behold, the new OS 8 system on my
1400 can't boot itself anymore.  I get the little bomb error that says "Sorry, a
system error occurred.  illegal instruction  To temporarily turn off extensions,
restart and hold the shift key."
Looks like I'm down to my last option- reformat and start completely from scratch.
I don't recommend OS 9 for anyone using a PB 1400 unless they have a processor upgrade.
Brian