At 1:14 PM +1000 5/6/04, Dana Sibera wrote:
Right. this is so silly I have to share. Laughing helps.

I bought a powerbook 190 recently, in fantastic condition - very well looked after, and looks like it's barely been used by the wear on the keys. I fell for it hard!. Just the perfect little writing machine.

I set it to sleep 2 days ago, left it sitting there and went to start it up - nothing more than the blinking sleep light. I thought perhaps the battery had flattened, so plugged in the power adaptor and tried to restart. Nothing, just more blinking.

I tried the reset - nothing. Battery in and out - nope.

So I left it for a day with the main battery out to let the internal one flatten as I went away overnight, thinking that it may just be confused, and then tried to start it up again from the power adaptor after coming back. Dead. absolutely no response, battery in or out, power on or off, no resetting made any difference. What a pity - such a lovely example of a 190 and so DEAD so soon after coming to me.

Then logic hits. 3 days ago I'd unplugged the power adaptor from the wall to use its kettle lead for another mac. How silly do I feel? :)

First rule of electronics, "It works better if you plug it in".

Second rule of electronics, "It works better if you turn it on."

-- -- Clark Martin Redwood City, CA, USA Macintosh / Internet Consulting