Thanks for the advice. I don't think I want to take chances with that
Seagate drive. Probably, the technology in that drive is just too much for
the 3400c controller to handle without choking. They really weren't meant to
be installed in PowerBooks made in 1997, after all.

The guy told me that a Hitachi 7K60 would work in the 3400 with no problem,
but doing that seems a little extreme--a 7K60 is worth as much as the laptop
itself. But I might opt for one of their 5400 RPM drives, since the IBM
drives seem to work and the Hitachi drives are from the same source.