At 10:52 PM -0500 7/8/04, Jack Countryman wrote:
I've got a PowerBook 170 here that I was given.  I have it running, but am
puzzled by an extra connector on the top of the left screen hinge.  Where
there would normally be a rounded piece of plastic to form the top of the
end of the hinge, this has a DB-15 female connector...like those used for
Apple monitors on their cpus, or on some older ethernet cards that points
out to the left side of the case.

Since this had no software etc. with it (we transplanted a hard drive in
from another powerbook to get it going) we have no idea what that connector
is supposed to be or do.  I've tried a few Apple monitors...13 to 15
inch...and get nothing.  So its evidently not a video out/monitor connection
unless it needs software to turn it on?

That seems to leave ethernet?  Is anyone familiar with any add-ons for old
powerbooks that put such a connector there?  If so, how do I get it to work?
What software is needed?  What system version does it take?

Well, it's definitely non-standard. There's no standard means to add expansion hardware internally. My guess would still be video since that is available, just with a different connector normally. It's going to need a monitor that works with Sync-on-Green. This would mean the Apple Hi-Res 13" color monitor or one of the 12" mono monitors. Multi-sync monitors would likely not work.

Minor point, it's a DA-15.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA