"Ken Norris (dialup)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:
>I have a 1400 I'd like to try a DVD drive with some driver software for OS
>8.6. Is there anything available other than a SCSI DVD?
A DVD drive will fit and work in a PB1400 12X EBM, and read DVD data.

However, I'm pretty darn sure you _cannot_ play DVD movies on _any_
PB1400 because the 1400's built-in _video_ hardware (not talking here
about the decoding) can't handle the job. The alternative of using a
cardbus (the only kind!) DVD docoder/zoomed-video card will not work as
PBs 1400 cannot accept or use any cardbus PC cards, nor does it have the
required zoomed video circuitry.

Craig W. chimed in:
>Secondly, I read about a mod that worked w/ a DVD drive in a 1400, but
>the picture when showing a movie was s-l-o-w and jerky... BUT the user
>only had 183mhz PPC upgraded 1400. I have a 400mhz processor...
I'd sure like to read about that mod, got a link? FWIW, I tried quite a
number of approaches using a Matsushita UJDA-730 in my G3-333 1400C and
got nowhere.

PBs 1400 can hold an EBM CD/RW, however the only SW which is alleged to
work with an internal CDRW in a PB1400 is "B's Recorder Gold". All other
softwares I've tried have failed, including Toasts up to v5.1.4, Disk
Burner, Disk Copy 6.5, iTunes 1 and 2, plus more I'm not remembering
right now. I don't have "B's Recorder Gold" and don't have a purchase
source, but I haven't looked in awhile.

Here's the link to my EBM page (as usual :-):
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/ebms.html

Dan K

PS: Paging Craig W! Paging Craig W!

Please stop perpetuating the 16bit-USB-cards rumor!
Give it up already!
Please? Pretty please?!? Pretty pretty please?!? :-)

They apparently never existed! Well at least no-one here has _ever_
actually seen one in person. With the vast range of experience on this
list, I consider it highly unlikely such a thing existed without being
known to _someone_ here. In any case, even if they _did_ exist (which I
doubt), they are today unobtainable and therefore maybe you might not
want to continually tease folks in such a fashion.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your co-operation!!! :-)

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500