From: "R. A. Cantrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PowerBooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Blackbird 520PPC
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 08:27:16 -0500

Bookies,
I know I found a page with info on this machine but I lost it.
The machine is a 520 "Blackbird" form factor but is the Apple PPC 603/100
model with "PowerPC" in the space on the screen case where you would
normally see 520c. Can some one better at Googling point me to that page
please?
--
All the Best,

R.A. Cantrell

Greetings. A few years back I got to know a 520 real well inside and out! As a hobby I slowly upgraded it, first adding a gray-scale active matrix display from a 540, then putting in a larger hard drive, and then maxing-out the memory. The last thing I did was change-out the cpu with a PowerPC module. Yes, it was 100MHz. But wasn't it a 601? (Can't remember that part for sure.) Anyway, the fellow who sold me the PPC module also included the PowerPC screen label. If you look closely, you will notice that the label is flexible plastic and pops in and and is held in place with little tabs. The screen label came with the cpu upgrade module...it isn't otherwise a standard-built machine. Mystery solved!

Thanks for the memories. The Blackbird is one beautiful piece of industrial design! Heavy sucker, though...especially when you have two batteries inserted!

Gary