"Mattox, Thoma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>The PPC cards created for the Blackbird were made by 2
>companies...Sonnetts (sold as an Apple upgrade) and Newer Technologies.
>Both companies used the PPC 603e processors.  Sonnetts ran around 117mhz
>with 8mb ram and Newer had at least 2 different upgrades.  One ran at
>167mhz with 8mb ram and the other ran at 182mhz with L2 Cache and 25 mb
>ram (I think).

I've never before heard that the Apple PPC upgrade was made by Sonnet. My
understanding is that Newer made all the PPC upgrades, including the
100mHz Apple-branded item, as well as the Newer branded 117, 133, 167 and
183 upgrades.

The Apple item includes 8MB of ram on the upgrade card. The 117, 133 and
167 upgrades were available with on-card ram in quatities of 0MB, 4MB and
8MB. AFAIK the 183 (a much different design than the earlier models BTW)
never shipped with the promised 24MB on-card ram. There may be a few
183/24MB dev units out in the world, but apparently some technical
difficulty and/or parts shortages precluded actual shipping product
before all PB500 upgrade production ended.

All PB500 PPC upgrades speeds are hardware set, any ASP-reported
discrepancies between an upgrades reported speed and its actual speed are
the result of ASP's inability to deal with non-standard hardware. The 183
upgrade _does_ need the init to enable its cache, however it still runs
at 183 even if the init isn't present. An additional _major_ function of
the init was to ensure ASP correctly reported the upgrade's speed. Before
the init was released, customers were complaining in droves that ASP was
reporting wrong processor speeds (usually low!) A utility like Newer's
Gauge PRO will correctly report the processor speed even when ASP will
not.

BTW, here's my page on running OSes 8.5/6/9.1 on PPC upgraded Blackbirds:
<http://members.aol.com/dankephoto/ppc_upgrade/>

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700