I've pulled the dead screen from the 1400cs, with the intention of swapping it for the working 1400c screen.

Just out of interest I opened up the case of that dead screen and I've found that there's a tiny reed switch under the LCD panel (behind the edge of the case, just about where the Apple logo is) and it's broken - literally snapped in two. Can anyone tell me what this reed switch does and whether this could be what's stopping the display from working? When the machine starts up the display gives a little flicker but then stays dark.

That might be the sleep sensor. When triggered, it should put the computer to sleep.

Mad Dog