On Sep 17, 2004, at 11:32 PM, Fabian Fang wrote:

If I can't install 9.1 on my 3400c without first installing 8.5 (I've got
8.1 now) how the heck does someone do a clean install of 9.1? Were there no
PBs that came factory fresh with 9.1 installed? Or is there a clean install
option available? Thanks!

You can install OS 9.0 or 9.0.4 or 9.1 directly onto any PowerBook 3400c if you have the appropriate Install CD. Why do you think that you must first install 8.5?

Yes I am also confused about this. I upgraded my 3400c from Mac OS 7 to os 9 directly. This makes sense, since OS 9 install CDs are all bootable, and boot off of their own stripped copy of OS 9, there shouldn't be any problem. You could have Windows 3.1 installed on the hard drive and it wouldn't make a difference. That would be strange, but true.

Unless your using a pirated copy of OS 9 that does not include a bootable system folder, I don't see how this could be an issue.