On Feb 23, 2005, at 10:56 AM, PowerBooks wrote:

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:20:09 -0500
Subject: Re: PB 520c connectivity
From: Erich Zechar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You're gonna have to spell this stuff out for me, I thought there was
only one type of ethernet cable when I started this - the phone cord
looking one. I tried to use that cord and simply run it from the iMac
to the 520, turned on Appletalk, and nothing.

The iMac has auto-midx or whatever it's called, so a crossover cable for a direct connection isn't required.
What OS are you running? I have a PPC 540c that I can connect to my other computers running OSX, but they can't connect to the 'book. OSX can use Appletalk, but with the right stuff you can share over IP which seems to be Apple's current direction/focus.
For the iMac (assuming OSX), I've found it easiest to set up a new user with the same name as the computer connecting to it, e.g. in my case that would be username PPC540. Go to the sharing Preference pane and turn on file sharing.
In the classic OS, either 7.6.1 (my favorite for the 5xx series) or 8, you need to have Appleshare Client version 3.8. If you're still running 7.1 thru 7.5, it's version 3.74. You also need Open Transport 1.1.2, both of these are downloadable from Apple's Older Software page.
Get all that installed on the 520, connect your ethernet cable to both computers, and select Ethernet in the TCP/IP Control Panel. Then go to chooser, and in the lower box select the Connect via TCP/IP (this is from memory so it might be called something different). A new window will come up, and there you type in the IP address of the iMac. You should see a list of items to connect with, I always use the drop box on my user name.
Hope this helps,

---
JSH
TiBook
"It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny."
(Jean Nidetch)