My 3400c usually works fine on wireless, using the enterasys/orinoco card. Last night and this morning it couldn't connect to my router, the ip addy was set to 169.254.14.31 which was the same as the router addy. Subnet was 255.255.0.0. I've seen this dns before, it's there every time the card stops working but usually it sets itself up on rebooting.

I checked the incorrect ip on a whois through network solutions and it's some isp in Marina del Ray. Then I did a google search just using the numbers and came up with one hit on groups where someone's pc card was showing the same ip and the same subnet. The solution there, from a guy in the microsoft mvp group, was that windows m.e. assigns itself an ip in the 169.254 range when it can't get an ip from the router. From this I can gather that the wireless card I'm using does the same. Moreover, I am using win m.e. on 3 of the pcs connected to the network. Coincidence?

Anyway, I can connect through the ethernet connection but not through the wireless even when right beside the router. I thought distance might be the culprit but when I switch the tc/ip from the ethernet to the wireless nothing works and the same ip comes up. If I set the wireless up manually using the ip addy I get when on ethernet, it still does not work and resets itself to the bogus ip addy. I've reinserted the card also as that sometimes works.

Any ideas? Is the 169.254.x.x ip a default ip for all systems? I thought the Orinoco software had something to sniff out networks but I can't find it on my 3400. I'm using 9.1 btw. Should I just ditch the software and load it all again? The card flashes when searching for the router's signal and the green light is steadily on most of the time but that's it.

Thanks!!

BM