Just re-read the post, and have a couple of thoughts that are at least a tad less facetious than my prior post.

I bought a used 3400c, and am having trouble getting
the internet working on it.

As a way to test my system settings, etc, I took out
the hard drive, temporarily installed it another 3400c
(which has another problem.) I can access the internet
on it, so that tells me the system/software is set up
correctly.

What occurs to me is: if the "problem" with this other 3400 is not mobo-related, can you transplant its mobo into the 3400 you just acquired...sort of a FrankenMac project?

Next, I exchanged the built-in Ethernet card with the
working one from the other 3400c and still can't get
it to work.

I'm wondering if it could be the chip on the main
logic board, that controls the internal ethernet card.
I assume there's one. Defective logic board, but only
for this one function? Have others had this problem?

Actually, the ethernet in the 3400 isn't on the mobo - it's on the internal expansion card you mentioned. Both ethernet cards work in the other 3400, right? This leads me to question whether the problem's with the internal expansion slot. I'd closely examine the slot with a magnifying glass to see if I could spot any hardware problems (bent or broken connector pin, etc.). I'd also try to find a gentle, non-intrusive means of cleaning the slot: canned air for starters, perhaps gentle swabbing with Q-tip or pipe cleaner...? Does anyone know of a mild liquid cleaning solution that can be safely used for this if applied judiciously?

Pax,
--
Gene, a.k.a. G-Man
Friends don't let friends do Windows