Thanks for the tips, especially Malcolm, because yes, that was the culprit!
I'm lazy and 7.5.3 doesn't have spring-loaded folders, so I put aliases of all my important (and big) folders in the Apple menu, including one alias of the entire disk. Some experiments show that the time taken during startup depends directly on the number of items accessible through the hierarchical Apple menu!
I guess this is what happens: Before the Apple menu is ready for display, the items in the Apple menu itself are read, plus the subfolders and items in there down to the fifth level. If the harddisk itself is in there, this amounts to almost as much work as re-creating the desktop.

So the bad news is that I can have this easy access, but at the price of slow startup; but then the backup battery is gone so I avoid shutting down anyway.
The good news is that the harddisk is fine, which I had started to doubt. That was on the basis of previous experience. It's a bit of a sidetrack, and a bit of a sad story: Recently, I bought an external 1GB hard disk on ebay. It was huge in size and weight, but with the internal hd being only 325MB, I was happy to get it, and it cost only 15$ or so. When I received it, I initialized it and was surprised to find it was 2GB! I made a backup of my PB500 right away, everything great.
Next day I thought to back up some ZIP disks too, but the drive didn't
mount. HDT toolkit said that the drive was not initialized.
To make the story short, a friendly guy at Seagate finally told me that it sometimes happens that a harddisk doesn't 'hold the partition' and in such a case, the disk 'needs to be replaced'.

Thanks again!

Ge'