Fellow PowerBook-philes and Mr. Wood,

I think I came in near the end of this discussion, but have you, Mr. Wood, tried the CompactFlash route to improve speed and battery life?

I am currently trying it out and it seems promising.

Do a search on google (or LowEndMac.com) for "powerbook 1400 flash memory" and you should see an article on LowEndMac about using Flash cards both as bootable harddrives and as virtual memory.

Given that a 1-gig Compact Flash card is only about $60 at ZipZoomFly.com and I was able to get working CompactFlash reader cards for about $10 on E-Bay, not a bad way to boost battery life and speed.

Just a thought.  So far I am liking it.

Sincerely,
Pacer the Loon
"My 1400 is going Wireless next courtesy of an Orinoco Gold card as well.... yeeeehaw! Riding the wireless range. Gitalong little doeggies. I hope."

Noah Wood wrote:

Well, I plan to get a wireless card (Orinoco Gold) for it and a new
battery so I can go like 3 hours without weirs!  I love my PB even if
it is slow!