On Sunday, June 5, 2005, at 09:34  PM, KG wrote:

I just got a PB3400 with 9.1(?), the latest that will work. I'm curious why you prefer 8.6. Should I consider this?

The 3400 is more responsive running under 8.6, but not dramatically so. It runs quite well on OS 9, provided you have a lot of RAM.

You can actually run OS 9.2, 10.1.x or even Jaguar on a 3400 with the help of third-party hacks, but either 8.6 or 9.1 is your best bet for features, compatibility and performance.

I have 80 MB RAM.

I'm very interested in the notion of running OSX, but it seems like the RAM would be pretty skimpy for that hungry beast(?)

What is max RAM expansion on the 3400c/200MHz?

I believe the HD is only 3GB, so that's a limit too.

Just curious, but do you have a link for the hack?  I LOVE OSX!

Thanks,

 - Peter Schaff

PM: 1GHz DP/1 GB/80GBx2/10.2.8
iMac: 600MHz/768MB/40GB/10.2.8
PB: 3400C/200MHz/9.1
Brother HL-1870N laser, Epson 785EPX, Epson 2450 scanner

On 05-03-05 Another lister posted the same wish.

I wrote then;
So now that XPostFacto v3.1 supports 10.2 on 603/604 Macs, has anyone
tried it yet on either 2400 or 3400?

Offhand it sounds like a sure recipe for a major case of the " slows "

In general the same was voiced on the list for days after.

--
Adrian