I have 80 MB RAM.

That will be good enough for OS 9.1, if you're inclined to go that route. The only caveat is that there will be times when you'll have to rely on VM. What would really do well for you would be to find a copy of RAM Doubler 9.

In OS 8.6, you'll have no problems whatsoever.

I'm very interested in the notion of running OSX, but it seems like the RAM would be pretty skimpy for that hungry beast(?)

To even consider OS X, you need to max out the RAM. It will be slow, but it will run. The main drawback is that the 603e just can't drive the OS X GUI very well.

What is max RAM expansion on the 3400c/200MHz?

You can add a 128MB RAM card, for a maximum of 144 MB.

I believe the HD is only 3GB, so that's a limit too.

Just curious, but do you have a link for the hack?  I LOVE OSX!

Don't even think about OS X with that small of a hard drive. The link for the hack is http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/.

Here's what I can tell you from my experience. I own a 3400c with the 180MHz processor, which I chipped to 198 by means of replacing the 40MHz oscillator on the logic board with a 44 MHz one. With this mod, I'm within shouting distance of the 3400/240's performance.

My main OS is a hybrid 9.1/9.2 install, a basic 9.1 system with the Finder and OT components from 9.2.2. I've also installed Yellow Dog Linux and OS X 10.1.4 and 10.2.8 at different times. YDL runs well but it's not too user-friendly; OS X doesn't run well, but even 10.1.4 would run iTunes so long as you didn't try to do anything else. Jaguar, which is now supported via XPostFacto, is faster.

The stock hard drive has been replaced with a newer 20GB unit, and I've used the hacked CardBus software to enable that support on the 3400. With that, I've been able to do just about anything that requires a CardBus card. It's pretty remarkable what this now eight-year-old beast is still capable of doing...