On Jun 15, 2005, at 3:17 PM, Fluxstringer wrote:

The UA's main e-mail system is imap based, and that's serving some 30-40K accounts. Our mail server handles some 600 accounts, and ALL our mail resides on a 140G raid. Right now /home is taking up 131G of that (which is 99% mail, since we don't have shell accounts except for the admins on this machine), but we're moving to a new mail server RSN.

I suspect that the KSU server is IMAP also. I will find out for sure. Earthlink told me theirs is POP only. and courteously sent an email explaining aspects of IMAP of which i was not aware. Strange if they only offer POP accounts.

That pushes the responsibility for mail store maintenance onto the customer. Also, sheer inertia, and only one set of instructions to push out from Bangalore.

You can maintain much smaller quotas with POP over IMAP; the main reason Earthlink has changed to a 100 MB mail quota is because most people use Webmail as a means of getting around the POP mail limitations; primarily the 'can only access from one computer' deal.

(GMail hasn't hurt on the mail quota thing, either.)

POP is a truly outmoded protocol, really. Modern IMAP clients, like OS X Mail, allow it to behave much like a POP mail account; you can set it to download messages and attachments for offline use, or just download as needed, which is really nice on a slow dialup link.

It was designed for a time when people had one computer, it sat on their desk, and that was it. It predates the Web by quite a bit, and, ironically was a means of getting around a limitation of e-mail at the time: that you had to be online to telnet to your mail system or be online for the mail system on your computer to work.

We've come full circle: people want to get their mail on their desktop (s), on their laptop(s), on their cell phone, their PDA and at the local internet Cafe. Thate pushes youn inexorably back to a network- centric base for e-mail.

Anyone with more than one computer would be well served by using imap. You don't need to be a high-pressure tightly wound world traveler type. I'm not all THAT high pressure, and my traveling is mainly the 3 1/2 miles between work and home.

Don't diss that which you don't know!

I don't think I was disrespectful of IMAP in my statements. Merely pointing out that not everyone needs anything more than Eudora Lite..

You said only "high pressure, tightly wound, highly paid,professional world traveler types" would use it. I kinda took it wrong. Sorry.

I don't remember the original poster saying he needed IMAP ability.

He mentioned that it only did POP as a problem. The only other major mail service is IMAP, AFAIK.

Anyone I've ever met who got to use an imap server for a little while really likes it. It's sort of like Windows versus the mac. Most people have never used a Mac so they think it's 'just like Windows only a little different', when in reality it's a world of difference. None of that 'oh sh*t! my HDD just crashed, there goes all my e-mail!'

I have four computers I use on a routine basis. Only imap lets me access ALL my e-mail from any of them any time I want.

Does an IMAP account store user info on the server which coincides with the email client used?

That would likely be LDAP, which is a different thing entirely, but can integrate with an IMAP server to store user info, addresses, etc.

Netscape Server was building extensions of that, which would allow someone using Netscape Communicator on several systems have one set of address books, bookmarks, etc.

OS X mail lets you specify whether your Sent, Junk and Trash folders are on the server or the local drive. I remember we tried getting that to work but didn't succeed.

LDAP is like any number of Directory services, like Open Directory (which is LDAP based) or Active Directory, etc, which can work with IMAP, but aren't strictly speaking parts of the IMAP specification.

My KSU account also has shared calenders and groups.

That's different. The IMAP server may run in conjunction with those services, but those are not part of IMAP. This gets complex when you deal with things like MS Exchange. Exchange Mail is an MS-ified IMAP mail server, tied in with the other groupware stuff.

But the mail client is online from iPlanet.

MOST webmail apps are imap clients in disguise. (Yep, even Earthlink's...they just don't expose the IMAP functionality to the users.)

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'