>Berkeley's physics dept used eBay.  That's where I got my current
>desktop machine, loaded.  Needed a lot of outside clean-up (dirt,
>stickers), but it ran perfectly right out of the shipping box.
>There's something ultra cool about knowing that your computer's
>previous life was in a grid used to simulate nuclear explosions and
>such.

That's what the IBM superscaler machine at Lawrence Livermore does ...
simulate nuclear explosions.

If you look up the LLNL web site, you will find that LLNL has lots of
software available which can simulate all kinds of things.

The nuclear stuff is not available, of course, but LLNL has a very good
simulator for chemical explosives.

They will freely license it to folks who have legitimate uses, such as
fireworks manufacturers.

Casual makers of ANFO (ammonium nitrate-fuel oil) explosives, such as
terrorists, need not apply ... unless, of course, you can prove you are a
legitimate user of same, as was my family's former company, a limestone
mining concern, where we had been using ANFO in preference to dynamite
for decades, on account of the lower cost of ANFO.

Contrary to popular belief, decommissioned 'puters from LLNL, etcetera,
do NOT glow in the dark.

However, a lot of their machinery is indeed buried in place, due to
traces of U and Pu.