Caleb Cupples and Rick write (respectively),

< I'd do the same with my 190, except for the fact that I still rely on
it as my primary writing machine. As soon as I get a little newer PB, my
190 is going to go in the ol' glass cabinet, for sure.>

<My PB 170 complete with original receipt already has it's own special
little shelf.... still works fine.  Start it up once every several months
just for fun.>

Even though I actually DID upgrade to a PPC Powerbook (5300c), my 190
will never get retired as an "ol' glass cabinet" museum piece. I keep it
in one of my bedside drawers as a "spare" in the event of something
happening to the 5300c, plus, I occasionally still use it to charge up
batteries: I plug it in and do that sometimes when I go to write outside
with the 5300c: the battery I won't be using gets a recharge while I'm
out.

As to starting it up for "fun," well, that wasn't my original purpose,
but earlier this week I wanted to email somebody something I had on it,
and it did turn out to be fun to actually use it again for something
other than battery charging. While my 190's primary use was writing (same
for the 5300c), I HAD set it up for email, chat and browsing and
occasionally went online with it. I was smiling all the way through the
process of taking my PCMCIA card modem out of the 5300c and putting it
back into the 190, sticking the phone wire in the X-jack, doing the email
with attachment, and signing online with it. And, as I sat there waiting
for the PPP to connect -- with both the 5300c and G3 next to me, the 190
on my lap, I felt like that girl in the movie The Net (whose laptop was
also a Mac Powerbook, BTW). Hahahahaha.

~Yersinia.

________

"Never ask a man what sort of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll
tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" -- Tom Clancy