Am 14.10.2005 um 21:32 Uhr schrieb PowerBooks:

At 10:30 PM -0500 10/14/05, Caleb Cupples wrote:
Greetings,

Now that I'm about to have the notorious 190 back in the world of the
relatively functioning, are there any issues with getting an external
CD-ROM to work? This will be my first time dealing with SCSI drives of
any sort, so I'm curious about any possible problems.

Thanks for the help,
CSC

If the 190 functions like the 5300, it WILL need two terminators (one for the book and one for the CD-ROM). Get a pass-through Centronix terminator.
Paul

This is exactly what Apple recommended in the Power Book's manuals. PowerBook - HDI-30 (29-pin)-to Centronics-50-cable - pass-through terminator - external SCSI device - terminator. Worked well for me with both 100 and 190 'books. If listers had operational setups different from this one, o.k., you're lucky, but I wouldn't recommend as it it won't necessarily work for others. (In case someone wonders why there are different HDI-30-to-SCSIwhatever adapters: the 29-pin-connector equipped ones were just for hooking up SCSI devices to your PowerBook. The 30-pin connector cables were for SCSI disk mode, nowadays called Target Disk Mode with FireWire drives. There were also "switchable" cables and adapters that could do both jobs. The 30th pin was used to transmit the SCSI ID in SCSI disk mode, causing the PowerBook to behave like an external SCSI drive for another host.

And for another point in this digest:

From: Paul Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-ROM on 190
<snip>

As to your question, while I don't have or need to get and use a CD-ROM for my Powerbook, I had no problems at all hooking my external SCSI Zip drive to my 5300 -- and since a 5300 and a 190 have identical SCSI ports , I imagine I could do it with my 190 too. In any case, what you'll need is an HDI-SCSI adapter (I finally bought one a couple months ago off the Swap List). All I did was plug mine into the Powerbook and then connect the other end to the Zip drive, and viola, I could get at the Zip drive from the Powerbook. I guess an external SCSI CD-ROM should work the same
way.....

~Yersinia.

The zip drives usually have a terminatori built-in, so don't bother to
compare them.
Paul

I have two types of external Iomega SCSI Zip 100 drives, one is simply called "Zip 100" and has switchable termination which makes much more sense than a (fixed) built-in terminator, as people sometimes tend to hook up several devices to a computer like scanners, external hard disk, CD or tape drives that have the 50-pin Centronics connector and therefore need to be placed behind the Zip as DB-25 to Centronics-50-cables are the most common ones. The other kind is the "Zip 100 plus" which doesn't need the sliding switch because it senses if termination is needed or not and behaves adequately. But the bottom line is that the rules for termination apply for Zips as well as for other SCSI devices and a comparison is absolutely possible.

Cheers, OM

 /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ / No HTML/RTF in email
  X  No Word docs in email