In a message dated 12/5/05 2:39:07 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>> I also
>> bought an APPLE POWERBOOK G4 DVD-CDRW COMBO DRIVE, i do not know it it
>> will run on my powerbook 1400, if not, i will sell you :-)
>
>A: The G4 drive will not work on a 1400. If I remember correctly, the
>only CD-RW drives that work on a 1400 are SCSI, if there are any.

Well, maybe; maybe not. The only external cd drive the Powerbook 1400 could
use would have to be SCSI, but not an internal laptop cd drive.

Also, there are external (non-portable and slow, however) SCSI cd-rw drives.
There are also some external portable ones, but most of them are either USB or
firewire, something the 1400 cannot do.

The cd-rom on the Powerbook 1400 came in 6x, 8x, and a 12x speed variations.
The 12x is the only one where the cd-rom can be removed and replaced with a
faster cd-rom; there is a webcite that explains how to put a 20x laptop cd-rom
drive in the 12x Powerbook 1400's cd-rom carrier.

I have no experience personally with this operation, but I know a guy in my
local Apple User Group that once tried to put a slot-loading dvd+-RW drive in a
1400 using the method above. I think he had limited success, but I am sure it
was limited by the 1400's speed and RAM limitations (compared to modern
machines) and the drive would not be able to use the DVD (other than a ROM
drive)
anyway.

>F: A 56K modem should work in the PC card slot without any special
>drivers. The generic one works for my Xircom modem on my 190 running 7.5.3

I can attest that the Global Village and 3Com modems and ethernet cards I use
in my 1400 and 5300 both require software.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Ivy F., AL
"Roll Tide!"
Beiges, 'Books and other oddities