The first thing you should check is that the RAM is fully seated.  If
it is, try pulling the RAM card totally.  You might not be able to do
anything with the PowerBook (on-board RAM is only 8 or 16 MB, and
that's not much for the OS & apps), but it should start up fine.

Ok Drew, I pulled the ram out and took the floppy drive out and plugged it back in and got the startup tone , then four more tones and then
four more tones and then nothing.
I did not mention in the first post that the the battery is missing also, just using the adapter. I would not think that would make any difference but I never had a 5300 before.
So don't know if I want to start taking more out or just get rid of it.

later, bob